This is a great recipe to have up your sleeve for when you need to take something to dinner parties, or simply when you need something light and fresh to serve.
- 1 (7 oz.) can imported Italian tuna, packed in olive oil & drained, or 3 pouches yellowfin tuna, packed in olive oil
- 1 can cannellini or navy beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 container grape tomatoes, halved
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced or finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. drained capers
- ½ – 1 cup pitted kalamata or nicoise olives
- 2-3 tbsp. chopped fresh basil or thyme, or to taste
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley, or to taste
- cooked orzo pasta (optional)
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar or lemon juice
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- freshly ground pepper, to taste (optional)
- salt, to taste (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients except the vinegar or lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper. Whisk together the vinegar and olive oil, then pour over salad ingredients. Season salad with pepper, if desired.
- Because the tuna may already be salty, taste salad before adding salt. Adjust any other seasonings, like the fresh herbs and pepper, as needed.