This is another one of my favorite recipes to give as a gift.
This gift has the makings for a festive side dish to serve with roast pork or turkey this time of year. (Click here for a recipe.)
FRUITED RICE MIX DRY INGREDIENTS:
- ½ cup uncooked brown rice
- 2 Tbsp. dried minced onion
- 1 Tbsp. dried parsley flakes
- 2 tsp. chicken bouillon granules
- 2 tsp. firmly packed brown sugar
- ½ tsp. dried thyme leaves
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- ⅛ tsp. ground red pepper
- ½ cup uncooked wild rice
- ¼ cup chopped dried apricots
- ¼ cup chopped dried cranberries or cherries
- ¼ cup raisins or currants
- 2¼ cups water
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- ¼–½ cup orange juice
Makes 4–6 servings.
- To assemble the Fruited Rice Mix, layer the brown rice, onion, parsley, bouillon granules, brown sugar, thyme, black pepper, red pepper, and wild rice in a pint food storage jar with a tight-fitting lid.
- Combine the apricots, cranberries, and raisins in a small food storage bag. Close with a twist tie and cut off the top of the bag.
- Place the bag on top of the rice. Close jar.
- Decorate for gift giving, including instructions for final preparation.
- To make the rice, remove the dried fruit packet from the jar; set aside.
- Combine the water, butter and remaining contents of the jar in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Cover; reduce heat and simmer 45–50 minutes or until rice is almost tender.
- Stir in orange juice and contents of dried fruit packet.
- Simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes or until rice is tender.
Source: The instructions for the fruited rice mix are from “Gifts from a Jar: Soups, Chilies, & More” by G&R Publishing.