This recipe comes from: The Herb Garden Cookbook, The Complete Gardening & Gourmet Guide, by Lucinda Hutson, Second Edition.
Lucinda encourages taking this basic recipe and changing up the ingredients for different flavor sensations.
The following recipe makes approximately 2 cups.
- 3 cups fresh basil, tightly packed, gently rinsed & dried (experiment with various kinds of basil)
- 4-6 cloves garlic
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts (or walnuts or pecans)
- 1⁄2 – 3⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan
- 2-3 Tbsp. freshly grated Romano cheese
- 2⁄3 cup olive oil, or more
- Grind basil and garlic.
- Add nuts and cheeses, then slowly add the olive oil.
- Blend to the desired consistency, adding more olive oil if desired.
- Spoon into small jars and seal with melted butter.
- Yields approx. 2 cups -freeze half, if desired.