This delicious recipe is perfect for a hot summers day, and makes a light and refreshing additio to any BBQ feast! For added crunch you could also add sunflower seeds or chopped nuts.
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallot
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup or honey
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (6-lb.) seedless watermelon (rind removed), cut into large pieces
- 2 cups fresh arugula
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
- 2 small jalapenos, sliced or diced
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, or to taste
Makes 4-6 servings.
- To make the vinaigrette, in the container of a blender, process the vinegar, shallot, Dijon, and maple syrup or honey. With the blender running, add olive oil in a slow, steady stream. Process until combined. Cover, and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
- On a large platter, scatter the arugula, watermelon, blueberries, and jalapenos. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with the desired amount of vinaigrette. Sprinkle with feta cheese and fresh cilantro. (Salad ingredients can also be tossed in a salad bowl, but cut the watermelon into small chunks.)
Source: Adapted by Barbara Walch from Celebrate magazine, July/August 2014.