BBQ season is nigh… so here’s a recipe to add something sweet to your grilling repertoire. Grilled fruit kabobs make a delicious and healthy desert or snack.
cantaloupe, honeydew melon, strawberries, pineapple, mangos, kiwi (cut into bite sized pieces)
Note: You can use any mixture of fruit you desire but I like to use ones that won’t turn brown so you can assemble the skewers ahead of time.
- white balsamic vinegar
- coconut flakes
- 2 small containers Key Lime flavored Greek light yogurt
- ½ cup marshmallow fluff
- 4 oz. light cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons key lime or regular lime juice
- fresh lime zest
- If using wood skewers, soak in cold water first to avoid burning them on the grill. Turn the grill to medium heat. Thread each skewer with your favorite fruits.
- To make the basting sauce, pour room temperature honey into a bowl or cup, thin with white balsamic vinegar until sauce is runny but still somewhat thick. Baste each kabob with honey mixture. Grill until the fruit gets some nice grill marks on each side and fruit is warmed through, about 1-2 minutes per side. Remove to a serving platter and sprinkle with coconut flakes.
- For the yogurt dip, beat together the light yogurt, marshmallow fluff, cream cheese, and lime juice until smooth. Put into a small bowl for dipping; garnish with fresh lime zest. Keep refrigerated until ready to use; let dip get to room temperature before serving. This recipe makes as many fruit kabobs as you want to make. Dip can be easily doubled, if needed.
Source: Adapted by Barbara Walch from favfamilyrecipes.com.