Some say STEM. We say STEAM! Whichever way you say it, science, technology, engineering, arts and math are integral to education, and we are STEAMing ahead at the Plano Public Library System!
There are hundreds of STEAM programs throughout the year, new technology to discover in the libraries, and kits to check out. Promoting innovative literacy, the STEAM kits offer families a way to experiment and learn together at home. Initially created in partnership with University of Texas at Dallas, the selection of kits has grown and we are continually developing new kits to support STEAM-based learning.
Additional fun (and free!) learning opportunities this spring:
- Code a Finch robot using Scratch programming.
- Discover circuits, robots, MaKeyMaKeys, and more at a “Tech It Out” session.
- Program LEGO robots as a family using WeDo or EV3 kits.
- Play with circuits, build things, and sharpen math skills at STEAM Saturday.
- Create a stop-motion video using an iPad.
- Build a Minion robot and compete to see who is fastest.
- Design using Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop.
- Expand your knowledge of littleBits.
- Learn about 3D printing using Tinkercad, Autodesk 123D Design and Google Sketchup.
- Improve math skills with tutoring offered for grades 1–12.
- Use your creative imagination at Maker Mania.
- Watch little ones collaborate at one of the SMART tech tables.
- Borrow a preschool STEAM kit and learn about animals, bugs, dinosaurs and more.
- Make or edit a video in one of the Digital Creation Spaces.
Pick up a copy of the Engage brochure (or view online) to see all the STEAMing hot activities (and more!) going on this spring at all five Plano libraries.
Your Plano Public Libraries
Davis, 7501 Independence, 75025
Haggard, 2501 Coit Rd., 75075
Harrington, 1501 18th St., 75074
Parr, 6200 Windhaven Pkwy., 75093
Schimelpfenig, 5024 Custer Rd., 75023