Baked beans! Who doesn’t just love baked beans, and why get them out of a can when you can make them yourself! Give this quick and easy recipe a try and you’ll never serve baked beans out of a can again!
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large can (28 oz.) baked pork and beans (do not drain)
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz.) Great Northern beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz.) baby lima beans, drained, rinsed
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoon. cider vinegar
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 1 tbsp. prepared mustard
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. salt, ¼ tsp. freshly ground pepper
Makes approx. 10 servings.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir together all the ingredients in a casserole dish.
- Bake, covered, for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Barbara’s Note: You can use any combination of beans you like but the key is to use them with the large can of pork and beans which aren’t drained so the sauce is added. Also I didn’t measure anything, so amounts are approximate for the additional items – taste before you bake and adjust flavors as needed. You can also add cooked crumbled bacon or diced smoked ham before baking for a smokier flavor.)
Source: Adapted by Barbara Walch from The Big Book of Potluck.