When it’s cold outside it’s nice to treat ourselves to something a little indulgent. This Sausage & Peppers with Crispy Polento recipe fits the bill perfectly, and yet is not too sinful. Once you give this recipe a try we guarantee it’ll become an instant family favorite!
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. Italian sausage (or sausage of choice)
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- kosher salt, freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 red bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- ⅔ cup dry white wine (such as Sauvignon Blanc)
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 lb. store-bought cooked polenta rolls, sliced into ½-inch thick rounds
- crusty bread (optional)
Makes 4 servings.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, turning once, until it starts to brown, 5 minutes. Add the onions, ½ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes.
- Add the peppers and garlic, and cook until just soft, 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the wine and thyme. Transfer the skillet to the oven and roast until the sausage is cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in a large nonstick skillet over med.-high heat.
- Cook the polenta in batches until golden brown about 2 minutes per side.
- Spoon the sausages, vegetables, and pan juices over the polenta. Serve with bread, if desired.
Source: Real Simple. The recipe calls for Italian sausage, but you can substitute with any favorite sausage, like some of the specialty sausages available at Hirsch’s Meat Market, Central Market or Market Street. We particularly like the chicken, spinach and feta sausage available in the meat counter at Market Street in Plano.