Food always makes a great gift. But even better than chocolate, cookies or cake, is something healthy and tasty—this tasty Tri-Color Tapenade ticks all those boxes and is something your friends and family will thank you for!
Tapenade is tasty served on brushetta as shown above, but can also be used as an addition to a simple chicken dish, click here for our Mediterranean Chicken with Tapenade Topping recipe.
This recipe makes enough for 2 to 3 gifts, depending on the size of the containers used. A mason jar tied with a pretty ribbon is a pretty way to present this gift.
- 1 (9.5-oz.) jar sliced Greek Kalamata olives, drained
- 1 (10-oz.) jar sliced Spanish green olives with minced pimientos, drained
- 1 small jar roasted sweet red peppers (packed in water), drained
- 1 jar Spanish capers, drained
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2–3 Tbsp. chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1 Tbsp. good quality extra-virgin olive oil
- With a chef’s knife, coarsely chop the Kalamata and green olives (this can also be done in a food processor).
- Mix together in a bowl.
- Finely dice the roasted red peppers and add to the olives.
- Mix in the capers and garlic.
- Season with freshly ground pepper and oregano (the olives are salty enough, so no salt is needed). Taste the tapenade and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Finish with a dash of extra-virgin olive oil.
- Transfer to jars with tight fitting lids; chill. Decorate the jars and give as gifts along with the recipe for the tapenade and a recipe for its use in a dish. (Tapenade should keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.)