This is so easy to make, and has a pudding-like consistency that is very pleasant.
The following recipe makes 6-8 servings.
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 Tbsp. brandy
- 1 (12-oz.) pkg. semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- 3 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. instant espresso granules
- 3 cups whipping cream, divided use
- ½ cup confectioner’s sugar
- ground cinnamon (optional)
- In a blender or food processor, combine the eggs and brandy, then blend or process 1 minute. Add the chocolate, sugar, and espresso to the eggs and brandy but DO NOT PROCESS.
- Scald 1 cup of the whipping cream in a small saucepan. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate in the blender or processor, and let stand briefly to soften, about 1 minute. Cover and process until chocolate is completely melted, about another minute. Pour into a bowl, let cool, then cover. Chill in refrigerator for several hours or overnight. (The mousse base can be frozen at this point.)
- Before serving, put the chilled mixture into a large mixing bowl and beat at high speed for 5 minutes. In another bowl, beat the remaining 2 cups of cream with clean beaters until soft peaks form. Add confectioner’s sugar and continue beating until cream is thickened.
- Gently fold half of the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture to lighten it. Pour or spoon into individual dessert cups. Top each serving with remaining whipped cream, and sprinkle with cinnamon if desired.